This guide will show you how to recover deleted text messages from an Android or iPhone no matter if you have backup files on computer, cloud sever or not. You will learn how recover data like text message without a backup file.
In case you have by mistake erased your SMS, don’t worry! You will get deleted text message back by having a 99% chance of success, however, there is one thing that will be important: time! If you have lost your text message inbox you need to move quickly and do NOT operate your phone for anything, as the texts are only recoverable before the portion of storage on which they are saved is rewritten. So the more time you delay the higher the possibility of getting new SMS, app updates or who-knows-what stored to the same place, obliterating them permanently. The following is the way to retrieve deleted texts on Android phone or iPhone.
Software to get back lost SMS/Text message
You can find a number of different PC-based software to assist you through this part of the process, and also for Mac users. In most cases they’re free (or have a free trial) and deliver the results nearly as well as one another.
The particular software you select will depend on your own choice, but they all do basically the same thing: scan your phones storage, distinguish and get back your ”deleted” SMS. You will get the result by walk through the process, that is normally just 4 steps long: attach phone to computer, examine, preview, get back what you want. The method works well with other data besides SMS like contacts, photos and videos. Some software programs really worth trying out include:
Wondershare Dr. Fone for Android (For Android users)
Wondershare Dr. Fone for iOS (For iPhone users)
Steps to recover lost text messages
Based on which software you go with, the steps might be little different, but all you basically need to do is the following (I’ll use Wondershare Android version for illustration purposes):
- Download and install one of the software programs above according to your phone and computer. Start the software on your desktop.
- (iPhone users may ignore this step) First you need to enable USB Debugging on your Android phone. Here is how to enable USB Debugging setting. To get this done, you’ll need find to the Developer Options within your ” Settings” menu. In case you can’t find it, simply go to “About Phone”, scroll down to Build Number and begin hitting 10 times, you will get a message say that you are now in Developer Options . Now you are in Developer Options > Settings menu. Browse USB Debugging (or Android Debugging, according to your ROM) and tick the box.
- Attach your phone to your computer (the program should be running) with a USB cable.
- Follow the prompts in the software to scan or analyze your phone’s storage.
- 5. After the process is finished you will get access to browse and preview the data saved on your phone (regardless if it has been ”deleted” or not. As long as the specific part of storage on which is was initially saved has not been saved over, you can still recover the data back again. This is exactly why you need to act quickly when you have lost data.
- Just find your SMS message folder (or however the particular program displays your data), pick the texts you want to get back.
If you are lucky you will get the deleted text messages from this recovery software. But it’s important that you have good habit to backup your phone data on computer or cloud side regularly. Here are guides how to backup Android phone iPhone.
How to backup Android for free
How to backup iPhone for free